Monday 13 September 2010

Day Four Hundred and Fifty Five

Friday Another day at Bestival, today the main acts started. I was supposed to be deputy shift leading in Oxbox again but I swapped with Karo and ended up supervising the big top tent.

The big top tent is the second stage at Bestival with a capacity of about 10000 people.

All was going well until The XX were due to play. it felt like all 45000 punters wanted to be in that tent. We closed the access to it early on but this lead to a significant crowd build up. the organisers used inappropriate pedestrian barriers to restrict access (I've always hated the stuff from 2003 when I started stewarding with Oxfam) anyway we in my opinion had a 'near miss' with a crowd crush incident - it was very close and very scary for a short time.


After the XX things calmed down and it was uneventful. I signed off had a drink at the campsite and went to bed.


The Big Top

Inside the Big Top

No comments:

Post a Comment