Thursday 24 December 2009

Day One Hundred and Ninety Five

Christmas Eve

I was up early, I made my way to the fish market and was there by 7.40am. Seems half of Sydney had the same idea, everywhere was three deep with people. I guess people want it as fresh as possible for Christmas so was to be expected. Managed to get a load of cooked King Prawns and smoked salmon to see us through Christmas and Boxing Day.

I was back home before Kate had left for work. Kate went and I chilled out at home. I did check the progress of the bird stuck in the tree above our house. Alas it was still stuck in a load of plastic which was caught in a branch. Yesterday I had phoned WIRES (the wildlife rescue service for native wildlife), they had stated they were uninsured to climb ladders and advised calling fire brigade. This I thought was overkill at time but as time had gone on it seemed the only way to get a solution. A quick call to Glebe Fire Station and 15 minutes later I had the use of a full crew of firemen and their appliance. After some discussion they decided to go over the back of the house and up onto roof, using ladders and ropes. They finally caught the little fella, turns out it was a Rainbow Lorikeet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Lorikeet

and brought him/her down branch, plastic and all.
The fire folks left and phoned WIRES again hoping they would collect it and untangle it and fix it up. They had no one to help and suggested local vet. As such we took it there and dropped it off, WIRES will pick up costs, collect it later and release it back near our house. It seems these little fellas pair up and his/her mate was sitting in the tree swacking at at our injured fella so hopefully they will be reunited. Kate is calling me a proper Aussie now for looking after wildlife., I just could sleep over Christmas knowing poor thing was swinging trapped in the tree.


Up on the roof

Bringing it down

Trying to untangle it...

After all that excitement we packed up for Crimbo in readiness for Bill and Carols.
We then went to Andrew Milnes for a Christmas drinkie before coming over for a nice spag bol in Willoughby

As I write this everyone is downstairs watching 'Father of the Bride', very funny and we are laughing at our wedding ideas too.

An interesting review of the Aussie Year the blighty readers might find interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/nickbryant/2009/12/year_in_review_2009.html

Happy Christmas Eve to my readers...

No comments:

Post a Comment